Monday, March 16, 2009

Disney Princess Half Marathon

7,000 Princesses woke up at 4 a.m. on Sunday March 8th to run the Inaugural Princess Half Marathon at Disney. Tiaras and all!!
What a great time it was with absolutely perfect weather!!
I do have to admit that Disney is not my favorite race simply because a lot of time is spend on the highways connecting the parks and very little time in the actual parks. The highways are boring and there are no spectators on them and the on and off ramps are slanted which just kills. But somehow I keep on forgetting about this because this was my 4th race at Disney. At about mile 9 I had a brief moment where I didn't think i was going to be able to finish but it didn't last long and I pushed through to the end.
For this race especially, most women were dressed in princesses costumes. Not me, I only managed to deal with a tiara pinned to my hat. But it's great looking at all the costumes, people put in a lot of time and effort in their outfits and it shows.
So my time was 2:03:00 which breaks down to 9:24 pace. There were 1047 women in my age group and I finished 125th (12%). It's definitely not my best time for a half marathon but it's my best statistically.
My good friend Khim ran her first race ever and did awesome. She has definitely caught the running bug and has been planing her future races. Now I have to convince her to run a full marathon.

at 5 am, I love this pictures the camera caught some of the car lights

hanging with the characters after the race!

with our well deserved tiara medals!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot to send you my friend's blog address. It is http://thedevashands.blogspot.com/. She's the runner from Austin.

Martha said...

Oh Margaret, great job!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting ready to run the Disney Princess Half-Marathon on February 27, 2011. Thanks for sharing your experience. BTW, your medals look so awesome! Makes my little one with 7 of them look pretty sad....:-)