Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Smigus-Dyngus

Yesterday, the day after Easter is Smigus-Dyngus Day in Poland. It's a tradition that dates back to the 15th century and basically is about dousing other people with water. The main targets are young unmarried girls, a boy would sneak into the bedroom of the girl he fancied and awaken her by drenching her with water. Most recently, the tradition has changed and it's common for girls to attack boys. But random passers-byes are also targets. It's actually somewhat dangerous to be outside on that day cause you never know when a bucket of water can be dumped on you. I remember this from when i was little (i moved to the United States when I was 12), we would never wear nice clothes on that day and I would get a glass of water and dump it on my grandmother. I also remember my uncle's sister who was very pretty and probably in her 20's wore this really nice suede jacket, got attached by the water bucket and her coat got ruined.

Anyway, I was reminded of this tradition yesterday and shared it with Vince. So when i got home after my run, he dumped a bottle of water on my head, which was actually pretty funny and since i was wearing running clothes i really didn't care and couldn't stop laughing. He did get my knitting bag wet, which i wasn't too happy about but it was still funny. So he has decided that this is his favorite new holiday and we will keep this tradition going.

Here's a video of what i'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5v9VbTV2Po

No comments: